CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD
The Medical Marijuana Program (MMP) was established to provide a voluntary medical marijuana identification cards and registry program for qualified patients and their caregivers. The registry system allows law enforcement and the public to verify the validity of qualified patient or caregiver's card as authorization to possess, grow, transport and/or use Medical Marijuana in California. Upon obtaining a recommendation from their physician for use of medicinal marijuana, patients and their primary caregivers may apply for and be issued, a Medical Marijuana Identification Card. It is NOT mandatory for patients to obtain a Medical Marijuana Identification Card in order to receive full legal protections of the California Medical Marijuana law.
HOW TO OBTAIN A MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD IN CALIFORNIA
- Obtain a medical marijuana recommendation from your physician
- Fill out the Application/Renewal Form CDPH 9042
- Submit the Application form to your country health department (addresses listed below) along with the following:
- A government-issued photo identification card
- Proof of county residence, such as a rent/mortgage receipt, utility bill, or motor vehicle registration
- Written documentation from your doctor recommending the use of medical marijuana
- Application fee (varies by county - see below)
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA IN CALIFORNIA
- You must be a California Resident with a valid California I.D. as proof of residency. If you do not have a California I.D. an out of state I.D., passport, or other photo I.D. with proof of residency such as bank statement, utility bill, etc. is acceptable.
- You must obtain legitimate medical records or documentation from your primary care physician describing their diagnosis. Learn how to request your medical records.
- You must be 18 years of age or, if under 18, be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- You must obtain a medical marijuana recommendation from a state licensed physician stating you will benefit from the medicinal use of cannabis. Find a qualified medical marijuana doctor in CA.